Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weight Weight Don't Tell Me

Fun fact: I was on NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me in 2002.  I won, but never redeemed, the prize of Carl Kasell recording my answering machine message.  The only question I can still remember was about Led Zeppelin.

Now -- onto something that I cannot seem to resolve as I'm putting in more miles and starting to think about faster paces.  I am technically at a healthy weight.  I don't eat much in the way of garbage food.  I am, however, 20 pounds over what I was before I got pregnant with #4.  I did Weight Watchers in 2011 and got incredibly motivated to follow it, but now I cannot seem to get back on track.  #4 is still nursing and hasn't slept through the night since he was 6 months old, which is probably part of why I'm still feeling so hungry all the time.  I know that a lower weight will mean less stress on my knees and faster times, so I'm not just fixating on some number on the scale.  I can make myself walk in the cold, in the rain, in the Houston summer heat.  Why can't I make myself eat slightly less?

Christian, who has already lost 60 pounds, wants to lose about 20 more, so I'm definitely not alone in this.  My first goal is to take some time to plan ahead so I don't end up eating, say, almond butter out of the jar at 4 p.m. while I'm starting dinner because nothing else is readily available.  It's not junk eating, but it's clearly not what I should be doing to optimize my limited athletic potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment